Thursday, November 11, 2010

Angelina Grimke

Bio:
  • Was born February 20, 1805
  • Was born in Charleston, South Carolina
  • I was educated at home, I considered going to Hartford but ended up not going
  • I was born into a prominent slave-holding family, but I rebelled against my heritage
  • I became America's first female abolition agents
  • Joined Philadelphia Female Anti-Slavery Society in 1835
  • I am one of many figures of national prominence
  • Published a letter in "The Liberator"
  • In 1836, I wrote a famous abolitionist pamphlet called, An Appeal to the Christian Women of the South.
Issue:
  • Whether slavery should exist
  • I stood firmly by my belief that slavery should not exist. It is cruel and inhumane.
  • The source of my motivation it that slavery is a morally deficient system that violates Christian law and human rights.
Solutions:

  • Step up and voice your opinions. Fight for what you believe it right.
  • I have been successful in voicing my opinion and having it published.
  • I've been put down by the Quaker community and even by my own sister that shared the same views as me.
  • I was criticized for speaking in public.
Relationship to others:

  • Woman's rights- I believe that woman should have the same rights as the men. Accompanied by my sister, Sarah Grimke, we fight for our right to speak. Many men abolitionist tell us to be quiet and that we can deal with woman rights at a later time, but I think that the time to assert a right is the time when that right is denied.
  • Education- I think it is extremely important for woman to have an education.
  • Temperance- Should come to an end because it puts woman in harms way.
  • Abolition- Slavery was evil and it should end.
  • Prison Reform- I am for it because I agree with Dorothea Dix in fighting for equality.
  • Utopian Communities- I am for Utopian Communities because it would give woman more equality and I am all for woman rights.
  • Transcendentalism- I agree with people that go against something that is unjust.


Simian

No comments:

Post a Comment