Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Robert Owen



Name: Robert Owen

Birth Date & Place: Born in Newton, Montgomery on May 14 1771
(Sixth child of seven)
Education: I attended local schools only till the age of 10
Background: I am the son of a saddler, and had little formal education but I love to read. At the age of 10, I began working in the textile business and by 1794 had become a successful cotton manufacturer in Manchester. I moved to New Lanark, Scotland where I married Caroline Dew in September 1799.

My philosophy: change in the circumstances of man would make a corresponding change in the man

Wrote:
New View of Society (1816)
-a rallying call for widespread social change, with education at its core

Beliefs:
Improve the health, education, well-being and rights of the working class.
-create a better society for all
Man was but a "creature of circumstances”
Man, being naturally good, could grow and flourish when evil was removed
change the present, false, disunited and miserable state of human existence, for a true, united and happy state...to prepare the world for universal peace, and to infuse into all the spirit of charity, forbearance and love

Issues:
Improve environment for the people
-Conditions of the working class
-Getting rid of social classes
-Poverty
Competition of human labor with machinery

Solutions:
Planned community (Utopia)
Share equally in labor and profit
Promote labor exchanges, consumer co-operatives, trade unions
Propaganda campaign for improved social conditions and the re-ordering of society
A united action of men and the subordination of machinery


Notable for:
New Lanark (became a model community) (1800)
Before the condition of New Lanark was rather unstable for education and sanitation were neglected, there was poverty among the people, and crime and drunkards in the community, but then I reconstructed the community into a model industrial town with good housing and sanitation, nonprofit stores, schools, and excellent working conditions
New Harmony, Indiana (1825)
I had tried to create a similar community to that of New Lanark, but this sadly ended in failure

Relationship with others:
Temperance- I didn’t approve much of drinking, but really didn’t stop the selling or drinking of it; I think drinking should be restricted/limited
Women’s Rights - I believe in equality among the women, Women will be no longer made the slaves of, or dependent upon men…. They will be equal in education, rights, privileges and personal liberty

Education- I believe in the education of children and adults, it will create more of a rational and humane character among the people
Prison Reform- I think that if we are to improve the conditions of prisoners, then we will be able to change them into a different and new kind of man fit for society
Utopian Communities – Create a community where everyone is treated kindly, no violence and only peace
Transcendentalism- I myself went with my own intuition rather than relying on religion to create a community where as man can live peacefully and in harmony

http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/2717474/OWEN

http://www.historyguide.org/intellect/owen.html
http://www.robert-owen.com/

Tayourane

No comments:

Post a Comment