Friday, November 12, 2010

Sylvester Graham



-I was born on July 5, 1794
-I was born in West Suffield, Connecticut, United States
- I was a teacher but because of my poor health I wanted to become a minister and went to Amherst College in 1823 but by fellow students scorned my historic manner and I withdrew from college.
-I joined a crusade against drinking and joined the Pennsylvania Temperance Society. I also argued that moderation is beneficial. I believe that it is better for spiritual and physical reasons. I also created a wheat bread which I called the Graham cracker.
-I was involved in studies of the effects of alcohol and other substances on the body and with the need of personal hygiene.
-I believe that drinking is evil. Physical exercise, sensible clothing, continence, good sleeping habits, vegetarianism are some good habits I believe people should follow.
-My inspiration comes from religion. In 1829 I became a Presbyterian minister and was inspired to stop drinking.
- I believe individual moral reform provides a solution to drinking. I emphasized on a discriminatory diet which was against the heavy eating at the time. A person should control himself because it will show how strong he is morally.
-My ideas, even though they flourished, they soon faded partly because my followers split up my ideas. Also, I was unable to persuade a large enough audience on my ideas of personal hygiene.

No comments:

Post a Comment