Thursday, November 11, 2010

Lucretia Mott


BIO

- Hi, my name is Lucretia Mott.

- I was born on January 3, 1793 in Nantucket, Massachusetts.

- When I was 13, I went to a boarding school run by the Society of Friends and later became a teacher there. That is where my commitment to women’s equality was strengthened, realizing that we receive less than what men do.

- I am an outspoken leader of the antislavery and women’s rights movements.

- I, with Elizabeth Stanton, organized the first women’s rights convention at Seneca Falls, New York in 1848.

ISSUES

- My main involvement of reforms concern women's rights and slavery.

- I demand increased rights for women, including better educational and employment opportunities and the right to vote. I also want slavery to be abolished.

- I was raised in a Quaker community, which is why I believe so stronger about these two issues.

o We often shelter runaway slaves in our home.

- Unitarians and their communities also help influence my theology.


SOLUTION

- My solution is that a greater sense of equality should be expressed between women, men, and African Americans. If not, our society is flawed by what their beliefs revolve around.

o At the Seneca Falls convention, we wrote the “Declaration of Sentiments” to demonstrate our solutions.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men and women are created equal"

- I have been successful because several demands set forth in this Declaration have been fulfilled. Now states grant a woman the right to hold property independent of her husband, and several state and private colleges now admit women.

- I also helped establish Swarthmore College, a co-educational school.

- I met challenges, however, especially at the World Anti-Slavery Conference when I was denied the right to participate because of my gender.


RELATIONSHIPS TO OTHERS

- Due to my experience with Elizabeth Cady Stanton, she is one of my good friends because of our similar beliefs.

- Temperance: I was a vital part of this reform as well because women should not have to deal with their husband’s spending money to drink and harming their families.

- I am also part of the school and prison reforms, peace, and religious tolerance. The issues need to be addressed and changed immediately.

http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/2715192/Lucretia_Mott

- Sullivan






3 comments:

  1. -I would feel most comfortable to sit next to you because my views are most similar to yours.

    -We would talk about our views on how important woman's right to vote and to education is important. Also on how we both come from the Quaker community and how we agree that slavery should be abolished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. - I would choose to sit next to you because we share the same opinions on women's rights as well as abolitionism.

    - If we sat next to eachother we would talk about our ideas on women's rights. We would talk about how we fought to abolish slavery on the Anti-Slavery Society executive board together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. - I would choose to sit next to you because we both feel that women deserve more educational opportunities.

    -If we sat together, we could talk about women's education. We could talk about how they deserve much more educational opportunities. Also, we could talk about how they deserve to be equal, in rights, and especially in education compared to men. I'm positive we would get along!

    ReplyDelete