Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sylvester Graham

· I was born on July 5, 1794

· I was born in West Suffield, Connecticut

· I was going to get my formal education at Amherst College in 1823 but withdrew due to being scorned by fellow students

· I am notable for being an Agent of Pennsylvania Temperance Society. Graham System, a vegetarian dietetic theory. Graham flour, Graham boarding houses.

· The contributions that I have made to American History are Graham Crackers: stressed whole-wheat flour and vegetarian diets. Helped found the American Vegetarian Society.

· Picture of me:

  • The issue that I’m involved with is the Temperance movement and with this I believe people should eat products with whole-wheat flour and have a vegetarian diet. I also preached on sexual restraint and baths.
  • I am against drinking and it had bad effects on the human body.
  • I was inspired by religion to take up this fight. After I became a Presbyterian minister I joined the fight.
  • I have published many books to get my ideals out and have a small group formed that helps me with this task.
  • I was successfully able to invent Graham crackers which are healthy for you and provides a snack to your liking.
  • I have met and shared my ideals with abolitionists and believe their cause is right.
  • I did not have any concern for women’s rights.
  • I believe education is important and we should improve upon it.
  • The only prison reform I am concerned with is the type of meals the inmates should have. They should get only vegetarian foods.
  • I have no opinions on utopian communities but they may exist because like myself others have established what they believe.
  • I have a distaste for transcendentalism due to that fact of their suspicion on the church and reform organizations.

Shah

2 comments:

  1. I would feel uncomfortable sitting next to this person because Sylvester has no concern about women's rights, while I fight for them. Our differences concerning whether we care about women's rights or not will keep us from having a productive conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please stfu no one asked

    ReplyDelete