Thursday, November 11, 2010

Brigham Young



Personal Background:
• I was born on June 01, 1801

• I was born in Whitingham, Vermont, United States

• I attended 2 months of formal education at a local school.

• I further established the Mormon faith, and led the Mormons on an exodus to the Promised Land, which formerly became known as the territory of Utah.

• I further established and defended the Mormon faith, even challenging the US government when it tried to oust me from my position as the governor of Utah.


Issue(s):

  • I colonized Utah as a sanctuary against the persecution of Mormons, was governor of Utah, but then was forced from power by the United States government, but continued to faithfully serve as President of the Mormon Church.

  • Persecution of the minority Mormons was present in America, thus I led the Mormons on an exodus to find the Promised Land, which ended up being Utah, so that us Mormons would no longer be persecuted. I, being President of the Mormon Church, dissatisfied the United States government by continuing to implement my Mormon religion in Utah from my position as governor. This led to the US government wanting to force me out power, but I refused, causing the US to send an army which ended in a compromise with I allowing a non-religious governor to govern Utah.

  • My inspiration for anything was religious since I was President of the Mormon Church. My many reforms were made to further distinguish Mormons from the other American people that have always persecuted us.

    Solution(s):

  • I backed my position as President of the Mormon Church when the United States government wished to knock me out of my legal position as governor of Utah and was ready to use force to do so. I wished to avoid bloodshed, so in the end I settled on a compromise that allowed my consent for a non-religious governor to rule Utah, but even so, I did not allow the Utah government to affect my people’s lives.
  • I basically created a utopia for Mormons when I lead them to Utah so that we may freely practice God’s true religion. I met no obstacles until the United States government wished to oust me from my position as the governor of Utah.

    Relationship to Others:

  • Abolition- As my predecessor Joseph Smith believed, I believe, and thus I support the abolition of slavery because negroes were born as humans, and thus have a soul. Anyone with a soul can be the subject of salvation and thus negroes can be saved. However, if they are oppressed as they are now, they are denied the freedom to participate in church activities and from their confined state, may not even become enlightened about the Mormon church.

  • utopian communities- I myself basically formed a utopia for Mormons in the territory of Utah. We Mormons were subjects of persecution throughout America until I led the Mormons to the Promised Land, Utah.

  • transcendentalism- I do not understand these transcendentalists. They willingly choose not to believe in God, but instead believe in themselves. Do they not know that humans thrive via the grace of God? These transcendentalists are a doomed people, unless one day they realize what they believe is wrong, and plead forgiveness to God in hopes to be pardoned for their actions.

-Nowicki-


1 comment:

  1. I, Joseph Smith, would very much be comfortable sitting next to you at the dinner party. You are a fellow leader in the Latter Day Saints movement and you share my same Christian beliefs. I would like to talk to you about how my Book of Mormon inspired you to follow my cause.

    ReplyDelete