Thursday, November 11, 2010

John Greenleaf Whittier

JACOB SANTOS



  • I was born on December 17, 1807, near Haverhill, Massachusetts, U.S.

  • Born on a farm into a Quaker family

  • I had little education

  • Throughout my life I would work to my fullest extent, which frequently lead me to be ill

Poet and journalist (1826–32)



  • Because my parents weren't fortunate enough to have me in school, I took fascination in reading whenever possible

  • Loved to read British poetry, but I was an avid reader of the Scottish, Robert Burns

  • Thus begins my passion of writing poems

  • At age 19, I was able to have one of my poems "The Exile's Departure" published in the Newburyport Free Press under the editor, William Lloyd Garrison

  • With my steady flow of poems to Newburyport Free Press, I became close friends with Garrison

  • by 1830 I had become editor of the New England Weekly Review in Hartford, Connecticut, the most important Whig journal in New England

  • I went on to contributing poems to many other Periodicals

  • I became a Passionate Abolitionist after reading Garrison's Thoughts on Colonization

  • So then I wrote poems on my thoughts of slavery and its abolition

  • My poems are very influential to the public, making me a somewhat political figure

Politics



  • I took an official and more proactive stand for the abolition of slavery

  • Justice and Expediency, my response to slavery, is what turned me from a poet into a politician

  • I gain a seat in the state legislature, putting my ideas into Congress

  • I started the Liberty party, bringing together a force for emancipation

  • I then retired from the political scene in 1840

Humanitarian



  • I still write poems in the periodicals

  • Also giving input on abolition.


Wordle: Justice and Expediency (1830)

No comments:

Post a Comment