Friday, November 12, 2010

John C. Calhoun

Personal Background
-I was born March 18, 1782- March 31, 1850
-Abbeville, South Carolina
- I received little formal education early in life, but was able to graduate with honors from Yale, in 1804
- I was elected to the House of Rep. in 1810 and served in the executive branch
- I left Congress in 1817 to serve secretary of war under James Monroe.
- In the Election of 1824 I was elected vice President under John Quincy Adams
- I served briefly in the state assembly, but was elected to Congress where I quickly aligned himself with the War Hawks
- I was re-elected vice president in 1828 under Andrew Jackson
- My relationship with Jackson has crumbled once I opposed the “Tariff of Abominations” act and then I collaborated with Henry Clay to make the “Compromise tariff of 1833”.


John C. Calhoun Pictures, Images and Photos



Issues
- Issues that I have dealt with are those of slavery and Jackson’s spoil system
- I sided with John Tyler in the opposition of the central bank
- I opposed the “Tariff of Abominations” in order to support nullification
- My motivation was that I am a supporter of state rights and I believe that states have the option to disagree with the federal government and let the voice of the states be heard

Solutions
- I sided with John Tyler to have help in the opposition of the central bank
- I collaborated with my rival, Henry Clay in order to come to a compromise to the issue of the “Tariff of Abominations”
- In my road to solutions, I have been quite successful. Although I took a lot of criticism for opposing the spoils system, central bank, and the tariff acts, I have came to solutions and compromises with my opponents. I have dealt with Jackson’s anger towards but I fought back by using my powers as a senator to represent my voice.

Wordle: Untitled

Mehmed Suta

No comments:

Post a Comment