Thursday, November 11, 2010

Wendel Phillips










Personal Background

  • · I, Wendell Phillips, was born November 29, 1811
  • · I died on February 2, 1884
  • · I graduated from Harvard College in 1831 and then from Harvard Law School in 1833
  • · I am a popular man because I was completely against slavery in a time when it was strong in the South

  • I was a radical abolitionist and wrote many pamphlets on the matter
  • · I was also pro women’s rights, and I supported temperance and labor reforms
  • · After the Civil War, I worked to help African Americans get civil rights
  • · My oratory skills helped me get supporters for my cause

Issues

  • · I was completely for abolition
  • · The slaves should have been freed earlier
  • · I was motivated in my youth, by William Lloyd Garrison, to fight for abolition in the United States
  • · As stated earlier, I was for women’s rights, labor reforms, and temperance

Solutions

  • · To fight for abolition, I did what many anti-slavery people did and boycotted cane sugar and any cotton clothing, because they were made by slave driven plantations
  • · I also wrote pamphlets and made many a speech on the topic to get people to support my cause.
  • · I accumulated many followers for my troubles
  • · I was unfortunately indicted in 1854 because of my participation in the attempt to break a fugitive slave, Anthony Burns, out of a Boston jail

No comments:

Post a Comment