Thursday, November 11, 2010

Angelina Grimke



Personal Background:
  • I was born in Charleston, South Carolina on February 20, 1805.
  • I died on October 26, 1879 in Hyde Park, Massachusetts.
  • I am an American anti-slavery crusader and women's rights advocates.
  • I was educated at home.
  • I was influenced by my sister, Sarash, and became a Quaker and an abolitionist.
  • I published a letter against slavery in 1835.

Issue(s) and Solution(s):

  • I believe slavery should not exist, and women should have equal rights in society.
  • I became one of the first women to lecture for American Anti-Slavery Society
  • I was attacked for speaking in public because I'm a woman.
  • It became necessary to fight equally for women's rights.
  • I speak and write about the oppression of slaves and women.
  • I published an abolitionist pamphlet, An Appeal to the Christian Women of the South, which condemned slavery as a violation of Christianity, human law, and the Declaration of Independence.

Relationship to Other(s):

  • Temperance: It should be stopped because women should get the rights they deserved like men.
  • Abolition: Slavery should be removed because it is against human rights and religion.
  • Women's Rights: Women should have equal rights as men and not be controlled by anyone but them selves.
  • Education: I think education is important and necessary for women; thus, they can educate their children.
  • Prison Reform: I support this because I fight for anti-slavery but also for equality, too.
  • Utopian Communities: This community will give women equality and giving them their rights.
  • Transcendentalism: I do agree transcendentalists should go against anyone who is doing anything unjust like abolition and going for free religion.

Chuang

No comments:

Post a Comment