Wednesday, November 10, 2010

William Lloyd Garrison







Personal Background
December 13, 1805 – May 24, 1879
  • I was born in Newburyport Massachusetts


  • I was an American Abolitionist and reformer for woman suffrage.


  • I published a newspaper, The Liberator, which promoted "immediate emancipation" of slaves in the United States


  • I urged immediate removal of slaves in every state and territory without giving slave owners any compensation.

Issues and Solutions

  • I was involved in the idea of antislavery and women's suffrage movement.

  • I was an abolitionist and a supporter of women's rights.

  • I was encouraged by religion to see that slavery is a sin, which was influenced after the Second Great Awakening. I saw that slavery was more moral rather than economic.
Solutions
  • I participated in many reform movements. I helped with women's rights and civil rights for blacks by contributing to journals and I participated in many public debates and speaking tours. I also attended the American Woman Suffrage Association. Other abolitionists and I founded the American Antislavery Society.

  • I saw the Constitution as a pro slavery document. In response, I burned a copy of the Constitution to emphasize the fact that I see slavery as a sin.

Relationship to Others

  • I agree with Lydia Maria Child on her position on women's rights and the idea of abolitionism. We have equal interests and both emphasize our position on abolitionism as journalists.
  • I disagree with Lyman Beecher because he supports the idea of gradual removal of slaves rather than my idea of immediate removal.

Wordle

6 comments:

  1. i would feel comfortable sitting next to you because of our relgious views. We both believe slavery is a sin. You were influenced from the second great awakening and i infact was a preacher. Therefore, we could talk about how you were influenced and the need for abolitionism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my good friend!. Thank you for pushing me into the Journalists career. My Poems and other writtings has been a great influence in the abolition of slavery. We are good political partners, but our angle of attack is very different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that the abolition of slavery is necessary, therefore i would be comfortable with sitting next to you so that we may discuss ways to free the slaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! I'm honored to meet a man who encourages the immediate abolition of slavery and defends women's rights in an attempt to perfect society. May I sit next to you at dinner tomorrow? I feel that our interests in similar reform can spark a lovely conversation. See you tomorrow at dinner Billy!

    [MUNOZ]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would feel comfortable sitting next to you because you are an abolitionist as am I, we both have the same idea about antislavery and how we need to have immediate removal of the slaves everywhere in America. Furthermore we had both written in a newspaper to express our feelings, thoughts, and views on slavery and the freedom of African Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would feel most comfortable sitting next to you because you have done so much for me! From publishing my first poem to inspiring me to join the cause I spent the rest of my life fighting for. I know you don't share the same mindset as I do in how to achieve the abolition of slavery, but I feel as though this is a matter that can be resolved.

    ReplyDelete