Thursday, November 11, 2010

Henry Thoreau

Personal Biography
  • I was born on July 12th, 1817 in Concord, Massachusetts.
  • I met my death on May 6th, in Concord due to tuberculosis.
  • I attended Concord Academy and, later, Harvard University, but I refused to pay the five dollar fee that was required to receive a diploma.
  • I am known for my Civil Disobedience and my actions against unjust governments.
  • Civil Disobedience has inspired many activists through out the world and America such as Martin Luther King and John F. Kennedy.

Issues

  • I was an advocate for nature and its wildlife. Also, I went against unjust governments.
  • I thought that wildlife should be allowed in their nature, and that if a man doesn't believe in his government then he should go against it.
  • Nature itself was my inspiration. The utopian community was ideal to me. A good friend of mine, Ralp Waldo Emerson, was with me in the encouraging to others on the topic of nature and its wildlife. As for the government, the injustices made me want to keep going and try harder.

Solutions

  • I wrote several poems and papers on nature, its beauty, and its wildlife such as Autumnal Tints and Wild Apples. Like I said before, I also wrote Civil Disobedience.
  • My writings influenced others in their struggles. Many disagreed with my love for nature and my preference of a vegeterian diet. My beliefs might have opposed others', but I wrote and expressed my feelings anyhow.

Gonzalez

4 comments:

  1. Hello my old apprentice!
    hope to see you tomorrow, im having trouble deciding what to name my new piece on becoming Self-Reliant.

    oh well, hopefully you can help tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, Ralph Emerson, would feel comfortable sitting by you at the dinner party because we both believe in the same ideas and we have been friends. We influence each other to do well and if we sat next to each other, we could exchange ideas on our literary work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Thoreau, I, Brigham Young, do not think I would be comfortable sitting next to you at the dinner party because you have no belief in God. God is our eternal father and yet you betray him by willingly turning away from him. If we were to sit next to one another, I would try to make you see the error in your ways and with the grace of God, persuade you to convert to the Mormon church and immediately be baptized so that your sins may be forgiven so that you may be saved. However, I believe you would be stubborn about this matter and disregard what I say about God, perhaps even insult that I believe in Him, and my breath will be wasted.

    ReplyDelete