Thursday, November 11, 2010

Charles Grandison Finney



Born August 29, 1792 in Warren, Connecticut.

I am a Presbyterian minister, evangelist, revivalist and author, having many of my lectures being printed in newspapers.

I spent two years at Hamilton Oneida Academy, and then went to New Jersey where I taught and studied privately. My earlier plans of going to study at Yale changed when I realized I could accomplish the four year coursework of the college in two years of my own time. After a truly divine experience, I decided to leave my law studies and begin to spread the word of christ.

I taught and later became president at Oberlin College, which was active in the movement against slavery and is one of the first colleges to allow African-Americans to study alongside whites.

I have conducted revivals in the middle and eastern states, and because of my expressive language, homely illustrations and direct nature, I have attracted the attention of many.

I am supportive of the Abolitionist movement and am strongly anti-slavery, which I express clearly from my pulpit.

I am a strong advocate of temperance, being opposed to anything that could possibly interfere with a man’s relationship to Christ (tobacco, tea, coffee).

I believe that an individual has great ability to repent. Sin and holiness cannot coexist naturally, and salvation is reached by grace through faith alone, not by good deeds.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Finney, I would not enjoy sitting with you at the table because your preaching has caused me great unease. When I heard you preach, I feared damnation and my ability to reason was greatly damaged. I do not wish to hear any more of your revivalist words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a firebrand, Mr. Finney. I blame you, among others, for converting some of my students at Lane Seminary and causing them to create a rebellion. I also disagree with the direction you are taking religion, it is time we return to the ways of old and stop this spread of herecy.
    - Lyman Beecher (Shuipys)

    ReplyDelete