Friday, November 12, 2010

William Lloyd Garrison











Personal background:

· I was born on December 13, 1805

· I was born in Newburyport, Massachusetts

· I received a limited education as a child, but I increased my schooling by working for various newspapers.

· I am one of the most prominent leaders in the Abolitionist Movement of the 1800s

· I am an editor of the newspaper The Liberator, and as one of the founders of the American Anti-Slavery Society. I promoted immediate emancipation of slaves in the United States.

Issues:

· I dealt with slavery and women’s suffrage

· I fought for the abolishment of slavery and for women’s suffrage

· I believed that slavery was morally wrong; slavery is a sin, always, everywhere and only a sin

Solutions:

· In response to slavery, I went to Baltimore in 1829 to aid Benjamin Lundy in publishing the Genius of Universal Emancipation, an abolitionist newspaper. The Liberator advocated for women’s suffrage.

· I preached my principles in hope to end slavery but slavery still continued even after my efforts( although garrison didn’t directly stop slavery, his principles lead to the idea of the abolishment of slavery). With slavery increasingly important to south’s economy, southern forced opponents of slavery to flee the region. In the North, where racism was equally established, abolitionist provoked bitter resistance.

Relationship to Others:

· I would feel comfortable chatting with Mr. Frederick Douglass, since he too urged for the end of slavery.

· I would feel least comfortable interacting with Sylvester Graham given that he had no concern for women’s suffrage.

· I strongly support transcendentalism and women’s rights.


Mian



Wordle:

http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/2721278/Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment