Thursday, November 11, 2010

Andrew Jackson



Personal Background:


  • My name is Andrew Jackson and I was born on March 15, 1767 and died on June 8, 1845.

  • I was born in Waxhaw, South Carolina and died in Nashville, Tennessee.
  • I have attended several academies in the Waxhaw settlement, and have some education from a few years that I studied law.

  • I was the seventh president of the United States; therefore, I am eminent.
  • Because I was a general and the president, I believe that I successfully guarded the United States. I contributed to the Second Revolution by winning the battle in New Orleans. The victory had lead to the end of the war, and I was known as a national hero. When I rose to power, it was named the "Common Man" era. The era included the spoils system, and male suffrage. During my multiple terms, I removed the Indians from their land so whites could gain more. I killed the Second National Bank which I believed would corrupt the Republic; however, the ending of the bank would lead to a depression. I handled the Nullification Crisis by imposing the Force Bill which would preserve the Union. Most importantly, I strengthened the presidential powers when I vetoed multiple bills.

Issue(s):

  • Issues that I had been involved in were the Indian Removal Act, the Nullification Crisis, and the Second National Bank. Also, I engaged in male suffrage.

  • Indians should be removed from our land. I was against the theory of Nullification. The Second National Bank should be destroyed, and there should be fewer voting requirements for men to vote.
  • My motivation for removal was the pressure from citizens who wanted to settle in the west. When Indians would move, it would create more open space for American families to settle onto. The reason I was against the Nullification Crisis was because I felt the Union should be preserved, so there was no sectionalism. The bank should be destroyed because I felt it would corrupt the Republic. There should be fewer voting requirements because it would spread equal opportunity and also maintain the nation's nationalism.

Solution(s):

  • To move the Indians I assured them they would be removed only voluntarily. Because of the threat of the coercion, the Indians reluctantly left. Also, I watched Georgia declare the Cherokee laws null and void (Worcester v. Georgia). (Nullification Crisis) I believed the Union was perpetual, and there was no right to succeed; therefore, I enforced the Force Bill which would use military power. To kill the bank, I vetoed the re-charter bill. I crippled the bank by withdrawing the federal deposits, and then depositing them in selected state banks. During my era, laws would be passed to change the requirements of voting for men.

  • I had been successful with resolving all the issues. Obstacles and criticisms that I faced were the opinions of the Whigs. The obstacle I faced during the Indian Removal was receiving the funds to withdraw Indians from their land. The interferences I encountered during the Nullification crisis were the other southern states and John C. Calhoun. To isolate South Carolina from other states, I had to sign the Compromise of 1833. Also, during the bank war I fought with Nicholas Biddle. After my veto, new commercial ethos sided with the bank. In addition, when I put the federal deposits in state banks, a majority named them "pet banks." Moreover, I did not struggle with male suffrage because it brought nationalism, and equal opportunity to American men.

Relationship to Others:

I was aware of the many reform movements; however, due to other responsibilities, I could not focus on them.

2 comments:

  1. I would be uncomfortable sitting next to you, due to your veto of the bank and opposition to my economic plan "The American System." I think we would argue a lot due to the differences in our views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would feel uncomfortable sitting next to you because I am a member of the Whig party, and you obviously are not. This difference alone accounts for many, many disputes that we would encounter.

    ReplyDelete