Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sylvester Graham



Personal Bio:
·         Born July 5, 1794 in West Suffield, Conn
·         I attended Amherst College in 1823, but did not graduate
·         I am an American dietary reformer, Presbyterian minister and advocate of healthy and moral living
·         I am against drinking. I studied effects of liquor on the body
·         I am notable for publishing my Lecture on Epidemic Diseases Generally and Particularly the Spasmodic Cholera (1833),  Graham's Journal of Health and Longevity (1837-1839), Treatise on Bread and Breadmaking (1837) and Lectures on the Science of Human Life (1839)
·         I created the Graham Cracker in 1829
Issues:
·         I helped found the American Vegetarian Society
·         I am an advocate against alcoholism and of abstinence.
·         I believe that a vegetarian diet is a cure for alcoholism and sexual urges. An unhealthy diet has negative effects on the body and on your life. Diet determines character.
·         I was inspired by the temperance movement as well as religion.
Solutions:
·         My Graham Bread is healthier and more nutritious then the chemically-enhanced bread.
·         My diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole wheat and high-fiber foods will improve the health of those that eat it.
·         I was moderately successful with the amount of Americans that followed this diet.
Relationships: 
·         Theodore D. Weld helped me found the American Vegetarian Society. 

Sokolowski 

2 comments:

  1. Although I find your ideas interesting, I would be uncomfortable sitting next to you at the dinner party because we are not concerned with the same issues. We would not have a productive talk because I am concerned with women's rights and you are concerned with dietary information. Our passion simply do not go together.
    -Margaret Fuller (Ashley Boyte)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would would be comfortable sitting with you at the dinner party for you share my beliefs of Temperance. You were also influenced by religion as were I. Given the chance, I would discuss the benefits of Temperance and what you think of people who do not follow this movement as well as your opinions on the direction that religion is heading in.
    -Lyman Beecher (Shuipys)

    ReplyDelete