Thursday, November 11, 2010

Henry Clay





Biography:

  • My name is Henry Clay, and I was born on April 12, 1777 in Hanover County, Virginia.
  • I was the seventh of nine children and after my father’s death and the second marriage of my mother, my family moved to Richmond, Virginia.
  • After displaying my natural ability for the understanding of law, I received a formal legal education at the College of William and Mary in Virginia, studding under George Wythe a mentor of Thomas Jefferson and John Marshall.
  • After finishing school, I moved to Kentucky where I established myself as a successful lawyer and was later elected to represent Kentucky in both the Senate and the House of Representatives where I served as Speaker of the House.
  • I am known as the “Great Compromiser” and noted for establishing the idea of “The American System.”

Issues:

  • I was mainly involved with the economic plan called “The American System” which consisted of high tariff to support internal improvements, and a national bank to encourage enterprise.
  • I believe that “The American System” is the best way to establish a successful republic and be a more independent state.
  • My main inspiration was Alexander Hamilton’s idea American School which called for tariffs, government investments in transportation, and a national bank.

Solutions:

  • With hard work, parts of the “American System” were enacted by the Congress.
  • The national bank was rechartered in 1816 and high tariffs were maintained, but the funding of national improvements was never truly funded.
  • Although never becoming president, I was successful in representing my ideas and contributing to the Missouri Compromise. I received much opposition from the Jackson administration.

Relationship to Others:

  • Shared similar ideas with Daniel Webster and John C. Calhoun.
  • Opposed by Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren, James K. Polk, Franklin Pierce, and James Buchanan.


Wordle:

 Wordle: Clay wordle 

Naludka


2 comments:

  1. I think that I would feel uncomfortable sitting next to you because we aren't interested in the same things. You are more interested in the "American System" and I am more interested in abolitionism and women's rights. We have way to many differences that I feel we would just argue the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would feel uncomfortable sitting next to you because we are bitter rivals. Due to our clashing personalities, it would lead to multiple arguments dealing with political issues and how to handle them. Also, I feel this way because I was the winning candidate and there would be tension.

    ReplyDelete