Thursday, November 11, 2010

Lydia Marie Child






Personal Background:

· I was born February 11, 1802 in Medford, Massachusetts (United States)

· I attended the public schools in my town and a year seminary. My greatest motivation came from my brother who was a clergy man and a professor of Harvard Divinity School.

· I spent my life writing books. I was owned a private school in Watertown, Mass in the years of 1825-28. I married David Lee Child who was a Boston Lawyer and we both joined the abolitionist.

· I began to work with anti- slavery in 1831.

· I was a women’s right activist but I believed that to help the women I must fist end slavery.

· I believe that women can achieve more by working side by side with men.

· I along with many other female abolitionist started campaigning for equal female membership in the American Anti-Slavery Society.

· I was the first to write a book in support to the policy of immediate emancipation of the slaves. It was the first anti-slavery book printed in America.

· I was the founder of the women’s suffrage association.

Issues:

· I struggled with many movements involving women's right and slave abolition. My goal was to free the slaves because once that had happened then women was have a grater chance of succeeding. Women and slaves were viewed the same by white men, they were property instead of human beings. I wanted to change that view. Women are capable of working with men. My husband and I strongly felt that something had to be done. I was excluded from society because they believed my values were wrong.

Solutions:

· We organized several campaigns against slavery and for women’s rights. Fund raised for slavery movements. I wrote numerous amounts of book on both subjects. I was excluded from society because they believed my values were wrong. No matter how much people hated what I was doing, I was willing to stand for what I believed in.

Szczepanska



1 comment:

  1. Hello Good activist in the abolitionist cause! We share many common ideas therefore i'll save a seat for you at the Feast.

    ReplyDelete