Thursday, November 11, 2010

Ann Lee Stanley

background: 
- I was born on February 29th, 1736 in Manchester, England
- I died on September 8th, 1784 in Watervliet, New York
- I had no formal education
- I was the founder (Mother Ann) of the United Society of Believers in Christ’s Second Appearing (the Shakers)

issues: 
- pacifism: I advocate complete neutrality during the American and British war, though would feel most comfortable in supporting the American side for their religious freedom
- celibacy: I strongly disagree with the institution of marriage and sex
- racial and gender equality: All men and women are equal regardless of race

solutions: 
- As part of the Shakers, my followers and I believe that I am the second coming of Christ in the female form as I embody the perfect, sinless, holy being in my complete dedication to equality and celibacy.
- We are called Shakers because I believe that shaking and trembling are signs that the Holy Spirit is purifying us by purging the body of sin and evil
- I believe the second coming of Christ is imminent and we must prepare by attacking sin at its roots in society boldly
- My visions and correspondences with God tell me that celibacy and confession are the only ways to true salvation in Christ. 
- "A complete cross against the lusts of generation, added to a full and explicit confession, before witnesses, of all the sins committed under its influence, was the only possible remedy and means of salvation.
- The Church of England sought to arrest me multiple times, but I escaped persecution in England by coming to America in 1774, settling the Shakers into a strict communal life.

relationships to others: 
- My views on the Temperance movement, transcendentalism, and prison reform are limited due to my time period.
- I support abolition and women's rights.


~ Cando


2 comments:

  1. I think that we agree on the main idea that women and men should have equal rights. We would talk about specifically what you think about this topic and why you chose to believe what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were called shakers because they shook and dance as a way of worship, not because they felt that spontaneous, involuntary trembling of the body purified them

    ReplyDelete