Thursday, November 11, 2010

Ralph Waldo Emerson


Personal Background:
·         I was born in Boston on May 25th, 1803
·         I died on April 27th, 1882
·         I graduated from Harvard in 1821
·         In 1825, I enrolled in Harvard Divinity School.
·         I am an American transcendentalist poet and lecturer.
·         I wrote multiple books and poems that are now quoted in society.
·         I lectured all around the world.
·         I am known for my transcendentalist views.
·         I left the church to pursue my love for public speaking and writing.


Issue(s):
·         Transcendentalism
·         I am a leader of this movement and I spread the ideas by lecturing and writing editorials.
·         Non-conformity
·         I formed a group called the Transcendentalist Club.
·         I encourage the individual person to express themselves and to fight for what they believe in.
·         I want to challenge the government because I believe its your own responsibility to get things done.



Solution(s):
·         Since I use to be a Unitarian minister, I believe that everyone has the potential to reach salvation and so the solution to solve most of the problems in society would be an individual moral reform.
·         It is the individual’s responsibility change and to create a better society.
·         I was not really the center of a conflict but I was around the troubles in society.
·         I was more focused on criticizing literature.
·         I believe I made the world a better place by showing people that they didn’t have to conform to the government. People criticized me about the issue, but I pushed through it.


Wordle: Untitled





http://www.transcendentalists.com/1emerson.html
http://people.brandeis.edu/~teuber/emersonbio.html


Stephanie Martinez

1 comment:

  1. I would not feel comfortable sitting next to you at the dinner party because you seem to lack interest in the topics I fought so hard for. Women's rights and African American suffrage need to be taken care of before anything can be changed. Our ideas on what is important seem to conflict and therefore I would not feel comfortable sitting next to you at the Dinner Party - Sojourner Truth

    ReplyDelete