Thursday, November 11, 2010

Lydia Maria Child

Lydia Maria Child

Personal Background-
  • I was born on February 11, 1802 in Medford, Massachusetts.
  • I attended local schools and was free to use the Medford's First Parish's Library after leaving school.
  • I'm notable because I was an abolitionist, woman's and Indian's right activist.
  • I wrote many books on these topics and I wrote the first historical novel published,one of my most famous novels is Hobomok: A tale of early times.  I also wrote for a published abolitionist newspaper. And in 1828 I married David Child, a journalist and lawyer who wound up in prison and drained me of my life's earnings because of my debt. Which is when The Frugal Housewife was later published. And not too long after An Appeal in Favor of the Class of Americans called Africans made its debut in 1833 marking the turning point of my career. My books had one similarity and that is that they all either stood for abolitionism or woman's /Indian's rights. In 1841, I joined the American Anti-Slavery Society. As a northern, freed slaves were not uncommon so I felt it was my role in society to fight for there rights, as well as woman's. After the war, I was founded the Massachusetts Woman's Suffrage Association.
Issues-
  • Not only did i fight for woman's rights, I wrote for Indian's also. 
  • I fought to end slavery.
  • I wrote many books/ articles to help abolish slavery. 
Solutions- 
  •  I joined the Anti-Slavery Committee so others would her our message.
  • Also, I joined the Massachusetts Woman's Suffrage Association to fight for woman's rights.
  • I fought for equal rights of all people, including those of different skin color/race.
Relationship to others-
  • I have a great friendship with Lucretia Mott and Margret Fuller. 

1 comment:

  1. I, Catherine Beecher, would not feel comfortable sitting next to you at the dinner table due to our views on slavery.

    - Although we both think it is morally wrong, You are strongly for completely abolishing it. I, however, think that completely abolishing it is too radical and it will only cause more fighting. I won't back down on my stance, so therefore I don't think we would get along at the dinner table.

    ReplyDelete