Thursday, November 11, 2010

Susan B. Anthony



Hi, my name is Susan B. Anthony. I was born on February 15, 1820 in Adams, Massachusetts and died in 1906. I did have a formal education and became a school teacher at a young age. I have dedicated my life to fighting for women's suffrage. My hard work and led to the Married Women's Property Act in 1860. Eight years later, I challenged the 14th amendment by trying to vote, and though I was not completely successful, I will continue fighting for women's rights. My motivation comes from my beliefs and the way I was raised. I was brought up as a Quaker by my loving parents who believed in abolition, temperance, and equality among men and women. Growing up this way I experienced more freedom than most American women and I felt determined to take a stand for women's rights. The day fifteen women and myself voted in the presidential election we were arrested, but only I was brought to court. I was not allowed to testify, and was ordered to pay a $100 fine, but I refused and was later let go. This is only one example of the many obstacles I have faced, but it was all worth it as I feel I have created a movement and I will continue doing everything possible to expand women's rights.

Mata


1 comment:

  1. Susan, I would enjoy sitting next to you at the table because we are such wonderful companions. We have been friends for 50 years and share the same passion for women's rights.
    -Elizabeth Cady Stanton

    ReplyDelete