Thursday, November 11, 2010

Catherine Beecher


  • Hi, my name is Catherine Beecher.

· I was born on September 6, 1800 in East Hampton, New York.

· I am the daughter of outspoken religious leader Lyman Beecher and the sister of Harriet Beecher Stowe, the 19th century abolitionist and writer most famous for her groundbreaking novel Uncle Tom's Cabin.

· Though I was born to a wealthy and socially affluent family, my education started rather late and I was almost entirely self taught. I was educated at home till the age of 10, and then sent to a private school in Litchfield, Connecticut. I was taught only the limited curriculum approved for women, but taught myself subjects that were not available to me, including math, Latin, and philosophy.

· I am an American educator known for my forthright opinions on women’s education as well as my support of the many benefits of the incorporation of kindergarten into children's education.


· My main issue that I dealt with was women’s education.

· I am responsible for creating a new social attitude that placed greater value on women's work in the home and their role as educators and moral guides for the young. My book Treatise on Domestic Economy (1841) was a best-selling work that provided practical household advice while extolling the virtues of domestic life. I also am an active proponent for the creation of schools for women, arguing that for their special role as instructors of children, women required a thorough education.

· While I did not advocate a radical change in women's roles, I did fight for increased recognition of the importance of the work women did in managing homes and raising families. I also believed that women should expand their place in society by becoming teachers, allowing them to use their nurturing skills and moral conscience in a professional setting. So, I founded schools and organizations devoted to training women to become teachers.

· My inspiration to keep going is my family, especially my dad. He always fought for what he believed in and I know I will do the same. Also, my motivation is that education is what women deserve. No matter what, I will push to get it for them.

· On many issues, I usually push for what is best for women and education. With this issue, my solution was the creation of schools for women. As teachers, they are instructing our students and deserve the proper education to do so. Women deserve a more important role in society, and with this step, they have become a bigger part of society. As for other issues, I think that women are the solution. They can help with any issue as long as they have proper education. Don’t underestimate us!

· Usually when I put my mind to sometime I am successful. However, I was not well-liked in the city; many people felt that I was a cultural elitist. Unable to win the financial or philosophical support of residents, enrollment in my school steadily declined until it was finally forced to close in 1837. Even though it closed, my ideas and views still got across to society and I am positive for the future.

· Temperance – I support the temperance movement because for one, my dad supports it, and also, I think that only good comes out of soberness.

· Abolition – I agree that slavery is a moral evil, but argue that abolitionist attacks will only inflame the South, make the condition of the slaves worse and more restricted, and destroy the possibility of ending slavery through persuasion and compromise.

· Women’s rights- I believe in women’s rights and think that we deserve more rights. We, as women, need to be viewed as more important and expand our place in society.

· Education – I believe that education for women is important. Since they should be teaching our children, it is essential that they get the education they need.

· Prison reform – I think Dorthea Dix is a strong woman. As long as everyone is treated equal, which is what she wanted, then I support it.

· Utopian Communities - I am for them because they gave women more authority and equality, which is what women deserve.

· Transcendentalists - I am for transcendentalism because my brothers were a part of it and optimism and individualism are always good in my book!

         title="Wordle: Untitled">         src="http://www.wordle.net/thumb/wrdl/2714667/Untitled"
alt="Wordle: Untitled"
style="padding:4px;border:1px solid #ddd">



Nessling

4 comments:

  1. I, Johann Georg Rapp, would feel comfortable sitting next to you at the dinner party because we could discuss education within my Utopian communities. I believe that education is very important and also, I believe that there should be no separation between men and women. Myself, along with my followers, believe in cooperation rather than compulsion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, Angelina Grimke, would not feel comfortable sitting next to you at the dinner party because, even though we both think woman should have an education, i don't agree with your other views on woman roles. You say that woman shouldn't have a radical change in society, but I beg to differ. Us women have a very small role in society, and I think we should have a much bigger role.

    ReplyDelete
  3. - I, Lydia Maria Child, would not feel comfortable sitting next to you at the dinner party because our views on abolition are a little bit different.
    -We both agree that slavery is morally wrong; however, I still want to fight to abolish it, while you believe it will make things worse to keep fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, Lyman Breecher, would feel comfotable sitting next to you at the dinner party. My first reason is because we are family and therefore share many similiar views. Like you believe teachers are wonderful and neccessary I too believe that with preachers. They have very similar duties and responsibilites. We could talk about leading other people and also other topics such as slavery being terribly wrong as well.

    ReplyDelete