Thursday, November 11, 2010

David Walker



Personal Background:
  • I was born on September 27, 1785.
  • I died on June 28, 1830.
  • I was born in Wilmington, North Carolina.
  • My father was a slave, but my mother was a free African American.
  • I had been found dead at my home, some people say that I had been poisoned others say the cause of my death was tuberculosis.
  • I had not attended school, therefore had no education.
  • At an early age I taught myself how to read and write.
  • I am African American.
  • I am an Abolitionist.
  • In 1826 I had settled in Boston Massachusetts and there I became a writer for the first African American newspaper, the Freedom's Journal.
  • In the 1820's I had set up a used clothing store in Boston.
  • I had written and published the pamphlet Walker's Appeal, or also known as The Appeal on September 1829.
Issues:
  • I had grown up to despise and have much hatred for the system of slavery that the American government allowed in America.
  • I had been very concerned about many social issues concerning and affecting free and enslaved Africans in America.
  • I expressed many beliefs such as: unified struggle for resistance of oppression (slavery), land reparations, self-government for people of African descent in America, racial pride, and a critique of American capitalism.
Solutions:
  • I had written The Appeal to the enslaved men and women of the South advocate a black rebellion and crush slavery. I had also written the pamphlet to remind African Americans that they are all American and they should be treated fairly too. My articles called for vengeance against white men, but I also had expressed the hope that their cruel behavior toward blacks would change, and if so then having vengeance would be unnecessary. The message I was sending to the slaves was that: if liberty is not given you, rise in bloody rebellion.
  • My Appeal had horrified whites and slaveholders both in the North and South. In result, laws were initiated that forbade African Americans to learn how to read and had banned the distribution of antislavery literature. Louisiana executed a bill ordering expulsion of all freed slaves who had settled in the state after 1825. In addition, I was worth $3,000 if found dead and $10,000 if found alive and brought to the South.
Relationship to Others:
  • Nat Turner led his bloody rebellion in 1831 as a result of Walker's Appeal and had forevermore frightened the men of the South.
  • Most abolitionists had disagreed with my advice to the slaves because I was insisting on resorting to violence in order to obtain freedom.
  • William Lloyd Garrison, a white abolitionist, believed in having an immediate emancipation of slavery but thought it could be accomplished through persuasion and argument, did favor the spirit of the Appeal, however, and ran large portions of it, together with his own review, in his paper, the Liberator.
-Nuñez

No comments:

Post a Comment